WHATCOM COUNTY, WA (MyBellinghamNow.com) – The state is suing two federal agencies over their decision to cut clean energy funding that includes a big project in Whatcom County
State Attorney General Nick Brown filed the lawsuit in federal court on Thursday, Feb. 19 alongside 12 other states.
It came in response to the U.S. Department of Energy and Office of Management and Budget’s move to cut billions of dollars in energy and infrastructure programs across the country.
“This administration wants to sabotage all of the progress Washington has made in embracing renewable energy and addressing climate change,” Brown said. “We refuse to be dragged back to the days of runaway pollution in flagrant violation of the law.”
The grants included more than $27 million for the Pacific Northwest Hydrogen Hub, which sought to create a regional network of hydrogen producers.
My Bellingham Now previously reported that the project included a key site in Ferndale that would include two power plants and several hydrogen storage tanks.
Brown says the project won’t be able to move forward without federal funding, eliminating thousands of potential jobs in Washington.
He claims the Trump administration is trying to advance its anti-climate change agenda by cutting the funding, which had already been approved by Congress.
The states are asking the court to declare the administration’s actions illegal and permanently stop them from interfering with the energy programs.
